Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grateful for the Lessons

My coffee date with gratitude this year brought me back to a particular essay that I read a few months back.  It was originally published as a New York Times Opinion, written by Emily Rapp, titled Dragon Mom.  Here’s a snippet, you should really go check it out if you haven’t already.

“How do you parent without a net, without a future, knowing that you will lose your child, bit by torturous bit?
Depressing? Sure. But not without wisdom, not without a profound understanding of the human experience or without hard-won lessons, forged through grief and helplessness and deeply committed love about how to be not just a mother or a father but how to be human”.
What a fresh idea…how to be human.

The gratitude post is a little late but simple.  My entire, gigantic heap of perfect blunders I shuffle to and fro is finally a comfortable place for me to be.  I have accepted my life.  Every. Single. Slice.  Even that which I never imagined, dreamed, or considered.  I have endured enough human experiences that I can embrace the good and the bad of each and every day.  I find some solace in this rare privilege; I imagine some find pity in the surface of our story. 
Being a dragon isn’t so bad.  I am ever so grateful for my hard-won lessons on how to be human.  And two sassy little girls.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! I love that you have accepted every single slice, there is awesomeness in that!