Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Turkeys That Trot

“Gratitude is an art of painting an adversity into a lovely picture.” ~Kak Sri

Oh how the above quote seems to be singing my song ringing my bell during this particular season of gratefulness. Any of you that have been reading for a while know I am constantly trying to preserve whatever grace I can conjure up. It really is easiest to just approach life with an attitude of entitlement and say f*ck it, right?

At least it seems like some of my fellow countrymen are there. Cut taxes, lower debt, screw health care; it’s the president’s fault, blah, blah, blah. And honestly I would like to know how you financial and policy wizards have cut personal income while paying off your giant ass credit card and bad mortgage debt at home?? On top of all your self-funded medical bills. I beg of you, if you are in the know; send the secret my way. The particular one about how you can have your cake and eat it too would be pure bliss. Maybe that is it, it’s the secret. Muahhhaahaaahaa!

Anyways, I am taking the Turkey Trot plunge again this year despite the frigid forecast. I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with my friends and not feeling so bad about shoving 5,000 calories in my mouth at lunch, last year. So screw the cold. Trot with the turkeys. Pass the guilt.

While I trot, I promise to reflect on a few of these thoughts…
  1. Thank you, thank you to the universe for sending so many super-moms my way this year. I can’t say enough about all of you, you’re stories, families and how you facilitate my sanity and recharge my soul.
  2. Aliza Mae. She deserves some ‘special space’ in my mind from time to time too.
  3. My husband, our marriage and the intricate, shabby road we can never seem to catch the same sunset on. We usually honk and wave at each other as we are passing by, each in some different direction. Somehow, we are still sort of waving as we pass each other.
  4. My family and my roots. I miss holiday trips to the Sandhills. I mostly miss having a meal together, someplace other than the Italian Inn, with them.
  5. Samantha. I miss her and have faith her and Jack are alright. Mostly my heart breaks for Heather & crew's gaping void this season. Angels and frogs will dance in my dreams with a nice swig of hope. For all of us. And we will get there, where ever that is.
I know that in my entire life I can never give as much as necessary or scream thank you loud enough or from the highest mountain top; to pay forth all the great people and places that have helped me land here, in the unrefined present. Maybe my whisper of, thank you, to all deserving of thanks (the list is incredibly long) is an adequate gesture.  I know I am finally done killing myself trying to repay those of you, not looking for anything more than the benefit of giving.  You are truly my treasured gems.

Be safe, fat and happy during your day of thanks!

“If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.” ~Meister Eckhart

4 comments:

ferfischer said...

I am also thankful for the amazing supermoms in my life this year - what a community we have! I'm so glad we are connected!

Deana said...

The supermoms are top on my list too...and little Samantha has been dancing around my mind all week. I'm glad she's giving us all a visit to remind us to remember her mama and daddy this week too.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

HeatherS said...

Thank you my sweet friends. Ugh...I MISS her but know that she is alright and watching over all of us. Thank you Amanda for this lovely post. We will all get there....wherever it is :)

Krista :) said...

I just love your posts....look forward to reading them when I log in. I hope you have a wonderful day everyday...but hope tomorrow is especially blessed and that you fit in all 5000 calories. I intend to! Love ya :)