Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reprieve the Mom

Finally, school is back in session...Oh yeah! Ava has had a couple of really good days and I have to give the SPIO credit for a very chilled nervous system, we have tried many drugs to no avail. It is also nice to only be commuting to Milliken although we MISS the Anchor Center and all of our friends, especially Liz and I. Knock on wood; hopefully we are finally getting into some type of life groove.

I can not believe Ava is almost 5. Where did the time go?  We have been at Anchor School for infants, toddlers, preschool, and dual-programming with the public school last year. She missed kindergarten cut-off (and I’m glad) so we are currently in public pre-school all four days a week. Finally, next year on to Johnstown for a full week of kindergarten although not at her home school. :(

Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids but will not be spending next summer alone with them. Yes, a mother’s helper is going to be necessary for me to get anywhere with any safety measures in place. Ava is clipping along but I can not rely on her senses to keep her safe while I chase down her buck-wild, fearless sister. Live and learn…

This brings us to respite care. I have been very pleased with our grad student whom helps me for a fairly reasonable price. This semester her schedule sucks so we will try to utilize her on the weekends then both Joe and I can take a break, maybe even together. I can’t say enough about having 4 hours a week to myself and also the security of knowing if I had an emergency and needed to find care other than Joe or mom she is very close, qualified and WILLING to help. I like her too; we are in the beginning planning stages of an Old Town Bar Crawl to benefit the Epilepsy Foundation. My kind of gal and my kind of charity work!

I have so much to catch you up on (this blog is printed occasionally since I am not good at baby books). I have started to tie up loose ends and it feels good to finally be getting something done for myself again. Next blog I owe to our NE trip and Liz Mae’s new room. I don’t want to jinx us by bragging about how good things are going for Ava (and her new modifications aka SPIO & iPad) this early in the game but stay tuned…I’m sure this isn’t the last you’ll be reading of.

I could smell Fall this rainy morning.  Hallelujah!

3 comments:

Deana said...

Yahoo for a break! My sister is coming over this week for our break too...I'm really looking forward to some quiet. :)

Hope the new school is a great fit for all of you!!!

TherExtras said...

Respite! Added to my list of blog topics. Your testimony here needs to be spread!

Still in the 90's here but the change will tick almost exactly with the change of the month. I will not want to get into the pool if the afternoon temps do not warm it for me. ;)

Barbara

TherExtras said...

Just read this and came back to share: http://looking4bluesky.blogspot.com/2010/08/saying-yes-to-respite.html