Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Room #807

We made it to the ER about 4:30 yesterday afternoon and after some diagnostic testing were admitted around 9:00 pm. Ava has had a CT scan of her brain and sinus cavity, blood & urine work along with an overnight EEG that is ongoing. We have ruled out encephalitis, tumors or any facial/sinus abnormalities and any infections.

She is currently being treated with a heavy duty pain killer for suspicion of migraines. Interestingly, topamax (the drug we took her off of in November), is used to treat and prevent migraines. I think they are also doing a viral study.

We are still waiting on the neurology team and the results from the overnight study. I had a neurologist visit this morning and she threw out about 3 specialized neuro's that will be in to visit with Ava today. Psych will also be involved to help us understand what the anti-seizure meds can be doing to her as neuro is quick to point out that is not their specialty...hmmmm you can prescribe them but are not sure if they will drive a person insane. Ain't life grand?

There are many Dr's being put together on an 'Ava Team' to try and figure out what is going on. We will be here tonight at a minimum and I will post more when we learn anything new. No one has yet to get any sleep and my mother will be coming down later this afternoon so Joe and I can go get some things in order at the house. We have our cell phones and I will try to post when we have news.

3 comments:

suzie said...

Ok, I know I live a long ways away, but if you need ANY help, please let me know. I wish I was closer so that I could be of more help. Even if you just need an ear to scream into, talk to, cry to....whatever....please call!! I will be thinking of you and saying prayers. Stay Strong!!

Robyn Moore said...

Oh Amanda, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. Poor little Ava. I'll keep you guys in our prayers that you get an answer soon, and that you can figure out something to help her. Don't forget to take care of yourselves too, I know it's hard, but try to get some rest.

HeatherS said...

Well Crap!!!! I am so very sorry. This just sucks. I asked yesterday if you were in house and they said they couldn't find your name....I had a feeling you were there. Mother F&*^er....go ahead say it, you will feel better.

My wish for you is answers. Be strong and kick some doctor butt. We are down on Friday....if you are still there in smuggling in a fifth of something :)

We love you all!
Heather, Bart and Samantha